The Society's rules for Membership are defined in the Constitution
The Society permits several categories of membership:
Full Membership, Honorary Membership, Corresponding Membership and Associate Membership
Rule 4 states:
- Full membership shall be available, upon payment of the appropriate fee, to Consultants, Associate specialists, Staff grades, Specialist Registrars, Lecturers, Research Fellows and basic scientists in any speciality who are committed to an area of paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology or nutrition. Proposals for membership shall be submitted to the Council by a member on the Society’s Proposal Form and the Council shall recommend those suitable for election to membership to the Annual Meeting of the Society.
- Honorary Membership may be conferred by the Society, at the recommendation of Council, upon distinguished colleagues who have made an outstanding contribution to paediatric gastroenterology, whether they be members of the Society or not. Upon retirement, full members may apply in writing to the Secretary to become Honorary Members. Honorary Members would not be required to pay the annual subscription fee and would not have voting rights at the Annual General Meeting nor at Special Meetings.
- Associate membership shall be available, upon payment of an appropriate concessionary fee, to any non-medically qualified health professional who is committed to clinical service and/or research in paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology or nutrition
Rule 6 states:
Members moving abroad may request to become Corresponding Members and shall pay a Corresponding Membership charge. Membership shall be open to Paediatric Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists from overseas for the duration of their clinical or research attachments in the UK. On their departure they would normally be required to become Corresponding Members if they so desired.
Rule 15 states:
Members wishing to relinquish full membership shall have the opportunity of resignation or adoption of Corresponding Membership.
To become a full member the following is required:
- You must fulfil the criteria for Full Membership detailed in the Constitution.
- You must be nominated by an existing Full Member of BSPGHAN.
- The application should contain (a) a statement of support from the nominator using the BSPGHAN Full Membership Application Form, and (b) a short (2 page) Curriculum Vitae which includes your email address.
- Your application should be submitted by the nominator and sent to the Convenor (email@example.com) and copied to the administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Your nomination will be considered at Council (usually within 3 months) and your nominator will be informed of the Council's decision by email.
To become an Associate Member the following is required:
- You must fulfil the criteria for Associate Membership as detailed in the Constitution.
- Your application should be submitted to the Chair of the Associate Members Group (email@example.com).
- The application should contain (a) a letter justifying your suitability for Associate Membership (b) a short (2 page) Curriculum Vitae which includes your email address, and (c) a copy of the completed Associate Member Registration Form
Your nomination will be considered at Council (usually within 3 months) and you will be informed of the Council's decision by email.